Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Correction...discipline..God's mercy for us.

Today I was driving home admiring much of the farm land that is still left near my suburban home. I have watched this land, and hoped that most of it would stay ruralish, wooded, and pasture land. I even wrote to our city council asking that much care be given when making decisions on the kinds of businesses that would be allowed to build there. Mind you, I have absolutely no pull, just felt passionate enough to write a letter about this beautiful piece of land.

Well thanks to the economy and the bottom dropping out of the housing market, this land sits undisturbed for now. This morning, I watched as three "teenage" white tail deer hopped over the fallen brush, and came close enough to the clearing for me to see their game of chase. What a great gift! Seriously, if the economy was still booming, we'd have another Taco Bell right where I saw the beauty of God's correction and discipline.

So tonight we delight in eating from the pantry, instead of takeout. We find left over frozen herbs from the summer, open the bag, smell the basil and mint. Make hot tea, instead of going to Starbucks. Wear a soft old sweatshirt I found when I cleaned out the closet. Finding lost photos that had been in storage for three years. Dream of warm days, watch the tube. So many things to do right here where we are.

God's correction to the economy may dampen our spirits if we count how much money we don't have. But for me, I hope I see those deer again tomorrow. 

2 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

There's a blessing in everything....you just have to look harder sometimes! I hope you see those deer tomorrow too! Your place sounds wonderful!

Hope Andrew is adjusting well and the rest of the family is well too!

Blessings to you all in 2011!

Tammy

Redeemedmama said...

So, so true Tammy. I feel fuller and more creative when I have to budget. Funny how God works. Something so wonderful about boundaries and our reliance on our Maker. I am carrying the camera to school in the morning just in case those beauties are bouncing out of the woods again. I really enjoy my "mom taxi" time. Andrew is hard headed, and somewhat dramatic for a 3 year old boy...it just comes with the territory...